About the role
Reporting to the Site Manager, you will be responsible for the supervision, direction and leadership of employees and contractors at the site. Your focus will be on the day-to-day supervision of employees to ensure the efficient and safe operations of the site and assisting the Site Manager with all the grain storage and handling processes and functions, including quality compliance. This is a hands-on role where you will be leading by example and training staff.
The Site Supervisor needs to be able to assume the responsibilities of Site Manager at various times during the year.
- Assist in staff recruitment, ensuring staff are suitably developed and upskilled by way of training and competency assessments.
- Provide customer service to both internal and external customers
- Assist the Site Manager to plan and manage all grain storage and handling functions and systems within the site, to minimise costs and maximise efficiency
- Ensure all stock storage principles and procedures are applied at all times
- Ensure all safety policies and procedures are followed
- Maintain site equipment
- Classify grains and ensure that the grains are stored and handled in accordance with standards and the company’s policies and procedures
- Ensure Audit compliance with documentation completion, and filing as required
- Oversee the maintenance of site presentation to meet Emerald Grain Quality Management Standards – Weed control, grain hygiene, equipment hygiene, tarp management
- Assist in maintaining a supportive, inclusive, high performance culture at the site
- Ensure grain stock accuracy in terms of quality and quantity are maintained at all times
- Lead, direct and adhere to stringent Safety, Health and Environment policies under which the Company operates
Essential Skills, experience and competencies
To be successful in the role, you will have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to effectively lead, motivate and inspire a team to achieve a high performance culture
- Ability to manage conflict and disputes
- Appreciation of quality standards
- Self-motivated with excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills, with the ability to develop strong and close working relationships with the Emerald team and clients/customers
- Understanding of Grain Husbandry
- Commercial and business acumen
- Strong focus on safety and customer service
- Mechanical aptitude
- A current drivers’ license is essential
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience and understanding of the grain industry including grain husbandry, hygiene, weed control and bunker tarp management.
- Licences/tickets in the following areas:
- Confined Space
- Fumigation Certificate
- Non Sluing Crane Licence
- Working at Heights
- Chemical Users
About Emerald Grain
Emerald Grain is a leading integrated grain trading, marketing, storage and handling company committed to Australian grain growers and their communities.
It is one of the major grain storage and handling operators in South Eastern Australia with over 1.5 million tonnes of storage assets throughout New South Wales and Victoria. Emerald’s grain terminal at the Port of Melbourne ships to more than 35 countries worldwide predominantly across destinations such as Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and the Pacific.
What we offer you
At Emerald Grain, our people are the heart of everything we do. We offer rewarding careers, ongoing learning and development opportunities, a collaborative and inclusive culture, and flexible and responsive work practices. The right candidate will be provided with an attractive remuneration package commensurate with experience.
To apply for the position
If you’re interested in this exciting opportunity to join the Emerald Grain team, please forward an up-to-date copy of your Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you must be an Australian Citizen or have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.